Monday, January 27, 2014

I See a Pattern Here...



Several years back I bought this IKEA Aneboda 3-drawer storage chest to organize my patterns.  




It wasn’t until just recently that I decided that the plain frosted plastic drawer fronts weren’t doing it for me anymore.  Having assembled the piece myself, I knew that the fronts were not removable, so replacing them was not a viable option.  An internet search for inspiration came up with gluing wallpaper or fabric over the plastic fronts.  After examining the drawers a little closer I discovered that there was a little play in the slot area were the plastic is inserted.  Hmm… if I could find some heavy decorative card stock, it might just be the ticket to dressing up an otherwise utilitarian piece of furniture. 
Then I remembered I saved this:

An Haute Couture wall calendar by Lang.  Too pretty to throw away after 2013 had ended, I stashed it amongst the stash in the studio.  I measured the drawer front opening and added 1/8” on each side.  The paper stock of the calendar was heavy enough to not wrinkle but thin enough to be flexible so I could insert it without difficulty.
Here’s the end result:



I am so pleased with it that it motivated me to start organizing the patterns in it. Every time I see it, I’m inspired to flip through the patterns and start planning the next project.
IKEA also has a wardrobe from the same collection that I want to purchase.  


 There’s plenty of leftover calendar – guess what I’ll be doing to dress it up?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment